The inaugural JCESR Publishing Awards for CY2019 were presented to postdocs and graduate students in recognition of their research publication efforts on April 9, 2020, at the first-ever virtual JCESR Full Program Meeting.
The awards were initiated in September 2019 to celebrate “ideal” papers and authors. Papers were nominated by Thrust and L1 Milestone Leads and judged by the JCESR Executive Committee based on the following criteria:
- JCESR intellectual leadership
- Original approach and/or significant breakthrough
- Multi-institutional collaboration within JCESR, where possible
- Contribution to JCESR milestones
- High impact on research and/or industrial community
- Authored by prolific JCESR publishers
Five papers representing 42 distinct authors (38 funded by JCESR) were recognized for their research impact:
- Widening Electrochemical Window of Mg Salt by Weakly Coordinating Perfluoroalkoxyaluminate Anion for Mg Battery Electrolyte; Ka-Cheong Lau, Trevor J. Seguin, Emily V. Carino, Nathan T. Hahn, Justin G. Connell, Brian J. Ingram, Kristin A. Persson, Kevin R. Zavadil, and Chen Liao; Journal of the Electrochemical Society; DOI: 10.1149/2.0751908jes (May 2019)
- Reversible Calcium Plating and Stripping at Room Temperature Using a Borate Salt; Abhinandan Shyamsunder, Lauren E. Blanc, Abdeljalil Assoud, and Linda F. Nazar; ACS Energy Letters; DOI: 10.1021/acsenergylett.9b01550 (August 2019)
- Mechanism-Based Design of a High-Potential Catholyte Enables a 3.2 V All-Organic Nonaqueous Redox Flow Battery; Yichao Yan, Sophia G. Robinson, Matthew S. Sigman, and Melanie S. Sanford; Journal of the American Chemical Society; DOI: 10.1021/jacs.9b07345 (September 2019)
- Design Rules for Membranes from Polymers of Intrinsic Microporosity for Crossover-free Aqueous Electrochemical Devices; Miranda J. Baran, Miles N. Braten, Swagat Sahu, Artem Baskin, Stephen M. Meckler, Longjun Li, Lorenzo Maserati, Mark E. Carrington, Yet-Ming Chiang, David Prendergast, and Brett A. Helms; Joule; DOI: 10.1016/j.joule.2019.08.025 (October 2019)
- Probing Electrochemical Mg-Ion Activity in MgCr2-xVxO4 Spinel Oxides; Bob Jin Kwon, Ka-Cheong Lau, Haesun Park, Yimin A. Wu, Krista L. Hawthorne, Haifeng Li, Soojeong Kim, Igor L. Bolotin, Timothy T. Fister, Peter Zapol, Robert F. Klie, Jordi Cabana, Chen Liao, Saul H. Lapidus, Baris Key, and John T. Vaughey; Chemistry of Materials; DOI: 10.1021/acs.chemmater.9b04206 (December 2019)
Congratulations to our 2019 JCESR Impactful Publication Award winners!